Wiring a dimmer switch
All our standard dimmer switches are 250w max. trailing edge dimmers which are suitable for incandescent bulbs, good quality mains halogen bulbs and dimmable CFL bulbs. They are also suited for good quality dimmable electronic transformers and good quality dimmable LED bulbs.
Our dimmer switches are 2 way, ie can be used for switching lights from either one or two places, but the other switch needs to be a standard rocker, dolly or on/off dummy dimmer switch.
Below are the instructions of wiring a dimmer switch for your reference.
1. Connect the cable as shown in the wiring diagram.
2. Carefully cut the outer cable sheath and peel it back to the required length.
3. Remove the excess outer sheath to expose the copper braided screen.
4. Roll back the screen over the top of the outer sheath. Trim back a short length of the inner insulation to expose the inner core.
5. Install the dimmers ensuring that no wires are trapped between the plate and the box.
6. Fix the plate with the screws provided. Do not overtighten the fixing screws.
7. Re-connect the power supply and test the switch.
8. It is normal for a dimmer switch to make a slight buzzing noise. This is caused by a radio interference suppression coil.