HOW TO WIRE LED LIGHTS
LED lights are a great way to add functional lighting or a bit of flair to a space. They’re also super easy to wire. You can connect an LED strip to an adapter and then plug it in to power it. You can also use a wire splicer to tap your LED lights into an existing and functioning wire to provide power for the lights.
Powering LED Strip Lighting
1. Trim the strip to size by cutting at the indicated lines with scissors. The strip of LED lighting needs to be trimmed to the size you need it to be before you can use it. Take a pair of scissors and cut along the dotted lines indicated on the strip.
1) You can cut the strip to be any length you need, but you must cut along the dotted lines.
2) The cutting distance, or the distance between the dotted cut lines, can vary depending on the manufacturer.
3) If you don’t cut along the indicated lines, some of the lights will not turn on.
2. Clip on a connector to the end of the strip.
A wire connector is a fastener that allows you to connect 2 or more wires together so they can power the lights. Align the red wire on the connector with the positive (+) mark on the strip and the black wire is aligned with the negative (-) mark on the strip. Gently pull back the black locking bar at the end of the connector. Slide the end of the strip into the connector and then push the black bar back into place to lock the strip into position.
1) Lightly tug at the strip to make sure it’s securely locked into the connector.
2) You can find connectors at hardware stores, electronic stores, and online.
3. Attach the wires into the adapter. Connect the positive wire of the strip to the positive slot on the adapter, then connect the negative wire to the negative slot on the adapter. Then, take a small flathead screwdriver and tighten the screws on the adapter so the wires are secure.
Give the wires a gentle pull to make sure they’re firmly attached.
4. Plug in the adapter to power the strip. Once the wires are securely attached to the adapter, plug in a power supply cord into an outlet. Then, plug the power cord into the slot on the adapter. The lights on the strip will turn on.