6 Top Tips To Avoid Overloading Your Sockets And Extension Leads At Home

- Sep 28, 2019-

6 Top Tips To Avoid Overloading Your Sockets And Extension Leads At Home

 

Are you using your sockets and extension leads properly? Are you sure you are not overloading them? It is so easy to overload the socket or the extension lead, thus risking fire!

 

Six Top Tips for Avoiding the Overload of Your Sockets

1. Check the Current Rating of the Extension Lead – before plugging any appliances into it, make sure you know what’s the rating. Most leads are 13A rated or less, and you need to know it!


2. Know the Total Current Rating and Wattage of the Plugged-in Appliances – before you plug in and use the appliances in an extension lead or socket, make sure you know what’s the total of the current rating (the amperage) and the wattage of those appliances. The total current rating cannot exceed the maximum current rating of the lead, and the wattage cannot exceed 3000W. Otherwise, the plug in the wall socket can overheat and possibly cause a fire.


3. Use only One Extension Lead Per Socket – it may sound stupid, but some people plug in an extension lead into an extension lead. Use one extension lead per socket only, otherwise the risk of overloading the wall socket and the extension lead plugged into it!


4. If Possible, Don’t Use a Block Adaptor but a Multi-way Bar Extension Lead – many of the block adaptors (those blocks of plastic with many sockets on them) are not very safe, do not have a fuse, and are not recommended to be used. They increase the risk of overloading and fire, so, if possible, use a multi-way extension lead.


5. Install More Sockets if Needed – if you regularly need to use an extension lead in a certain area of your house, it is recommended that you contact a registered electrician to install an extra double socket in that area. While he’s at your place, why don’t you ask him to check your installation and your sockets?


6. Regularly Check for Danger Signs like: smell of hot plastic (melting sockets or appliances), sparks or scorch marks around a socket / plug / appliance, damaged or frayed leads, coloured wire from inside leads showing at the plug, fuses that keep blowing for no obvious reason, etc. 


Anything that is suspicious or out of the ordinary when an extension lead is used should be an alert for possible trouble!